Five Tips for Healthy Holiday Feet
Sore, achy feet should not ruin your holiday season. Follow these five quick tips to keep your feet and ankles safe and healthy:
1. If the shoe fits, wear it. When hitting the dance floor or the shopping malls during the holiday season, do not compromise comfort and safety when picking the right shoes to wear. Narrow shoes, overly high-heeled ones or shoes that are not worn very often, such as dress shoes, can irritate feet and lead to blisters, calluses, swelling and even severe ankle injuries. Choose a shoe that has a low heel and fits your foot in length, width and depth while you are standing.
2. Avoid overindulging in holiday cheer. Certain foods and beverages high in purines, such as shellfish, red meat, red wine and beer, can trigger painful gout attacks, a condition in which uric acid builds up and crystallizes in and around joints, particularly in the big toe. Stay hydrated and be mindful of what you are putting into your body.
3. Be pedicure-safety conscious. Before you head out for your holiday pedicure, remember that nail salons can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Reduce your risk of infection by choosing a salon that follows proper sanitation practices and is licensed by the state. Also consider purchasing your own pedicure instruments to bring along to your appointment. The safest option is to schedule a nail care appointment with us, and get your nails painted at the salon.
4. Watch for ice and snow. Holiday winter wonderlands can be beautiful but also dangerous. Use caution when traveling outdoors and watch for ice or snow patches along your trail. If you experience a fall, take a break from activities until you can see a foot and ankle surgeon. Use RICE therapy (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) to help reduce the pain and control swelling around the injury.
5. Listen to your feet. Foot pain and holiday fun do not mix. Inspect your feet regularly for any evidence of ingrown toenails, bruising, swelling, blisters, dry skin or calluses. If you notice any pain, swelling or signs of problems, schedule an appointment with us right away!